Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Different By Design


"If there is one imperative in my life, it is winning souls to Jesus Christ. No matter how many souls I might have won, it is never enough. If I stop bringing people to the Lord or stop bearing fruit, God has the right to cut me off and put someone else behind the pulpit." Tommy Barnett.

We are not all called to be evangelist's but we are all called to be a witness. Matt. 28:19

From a very early age we all display an innate desire to belong, to be accepted. When I was very young my parents signed me up for youth baseball, flag football, Cub Scouts and other positive activities. In participating in those activities I did my best to excel so I would be accepted and fulfill the need to be liked.

As I grew older sports remained a part of my life as was Boy Scouts for awhile. My parents had the right idea, trying to involve me in good character building programs. Programs where good people were, people with the same basic needs of acceptance and belonging. By the time I was leaving Jr. High school and entering High school there were other things pulling for my allegiance.

I was initiated or "jumped in" early in my freshman year. Back then we called it the "barrio" not a gang like today. Even then there was a conflict going on inside me. There was a battle between doing what I knew was right and doing what others wanted me to do. These others or "homeboys" were much like me, we were basically good people being led astray by an influence we didn't understand. We were young boys looking to be somebodies, to be a part of something bigger than ourselves, to be noticed and accepted.

You need to understand where this type of lifestyle can lead a young boy who wants his older "homies" to notice him, accept him and even respect him. It doesn't take much external motivation, added to the needs he's already feeling to get him to go along with this new program, as negative as it might be.

You may be asking "where is he going with all this?" Let me tell you.

We all have the same basic need to belong and be accepted. No matter what your age or walk of life you need to be wanted and loved. Much like that young boy choosing a gang there are things desiring our allegiances. On the one hand, there are the things of this world, evil or not, they are things of the flesh. On the other hand, there are the things of the Spirit, which are good and righteous - the things of God. The Bible tells us that God has set eternity in our hearts and that there is nothing better than to be happy and do good while we live. That innate feeling of wanting to be accepted is our heart seeking after God our creator.

So often we shy away from those things that will cause people to associate us with our Christian faith, our church or even our belief in God. We don't want to be perceived as different, weird or a freak. So instead of standing up for what we believe, we go along with what the others are doing, we try to fit in, we go with the flow. Why do we do this? Because we want the world to accept us as one of their own. We want to feel a part of it all, not singled or left out.

But that's not what Christ has called us to. God has called us to be set apart, to be different. Different than those who have no god. Otherwise, if we are just like them, what need do they have in this "Jesus" we claim to follow?

A number of times in the Bible (KJV) God called His children to be a "Peculiar" people. Peculiar huh? I wondered what that meant exactly so I looked in up in the Webster's Dictionary. It said this:
1. strange, odd 2. uncommon, unusual 3. distinct in nature or character from others
4. belonging characteristically or exclusively to some person, group or thing.


This is what the Lord is calling us to and I know it's not going to be easy especially in this day and age. There is so much negativity shown toward the things of God these days, that we are fearful at times to proclaim who we are and where our allegiance lies.

I want to challenge you today to stand up for what you believe in. No, more important than that stand up for WHO you believe in. Don't be afraid, instead be positive, be joyful, be a servant and enjoy life while you're doing good in the name of Jesus. You belong to Him. He accepts you for who you are. There is nothing greater or bigger to be a part of then the Kingdom of God.

God Bless and Press On
Larry


No comments:

Post a Comment